Santa Paws is back at WellPet Vets!
This year is fast disappearing and it’s that jolly time again where Santa and the Christmas Spirit is in the air. Sadly, it’s not always a happy time for some animals who find themselves alone and without homes.
Each year in conjunction with the wonderful Franklin from Franklin Photography we hold a Santa Pet Photo booth at WellPet Vets Nepean. This event not only allows clients and their pets to capture a beautiful portrait of their pet with Santa; celebrating the special bond we have with our pets and their part in our families, it also serves in an effort to raise awareness and much needed funds for a local welfare group. This year our WellPet Santa Campaign will be sponsoring DCH Animal Adoption.
DCH Animal Adoptions, which stands for “dogs, cats and horses”, is a NSW-based non-profit animal rescue charity (CFN 18284) committed to the rescue and rehoming of unwanted and neglected domestic animals – mainly dogs, cats and horses – but occasionally other animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs.
Our volunteers rescue animals from certain death in Sydney’s pounds and shelters, and horses from the knackery and ensure they are provided with veterinary attention and foster care until a permanent and loving home can be found.
The foster care system benefits you and the foster pet. By providing you with valuable information about the animal gained through the carer’s experiences in a home environment, we can help match you up with the right pet for your home. The animals also benefit from being in a loving home environment until their permanent homes are found. (excerpt from http://www.dchanimalrescue.org.au)
We asked DCH some questions surrounding their work to help animals in need;
- How long has DCH rescue been helping orphaned pets? DCH was established in 2005 so we’ve been rescuing animals in Sydney for over 10 years.
- What are the main reasons for pets becoming orphaned? We mainly rescue from council pounds so that means we sometimes get no history on the animals at all, however from what we do know it is often people moving house who can’t take their pets with them or the offspring of accidental litters who are unwanted, many times after being given away for free to homes that didn’t really want them and soon abandoned them. With our rescue cats the main reason by far is people not de-sexing their pet cats.
- How may pets do you re-home in a year? On average we rehome about 200 pets per year.
- Do you see an increase in orphaned animals at any particular times during the year? With our cats we definitely see a spike in the warmer months. Sadly, with the weather warming up each year “kitten season” seems to just go on and on and we don’t see the big break over the typically cooler months like we used to.
- What can people do to help? People can do a lot to help, by making sure their pets are de-sexed, contained and their microchip records are up to date. If people want to get more hands on to help, then they can open up their homes to a rescue pet by becoming a foster carer. If that isn’t possible then we can always use volunteers to help with fundraising, transport and spreading the word about the wonderful pets we have in care looking for “forever homes”. We have a page on our website with more details: http://www.dchanimalrescue.org.au/help.php
If you would like more information, or to book in your pet for a Santa photo sessions please go to www.wellpet.com.au/santa-photos Sessions commence 1st December so don’t miss out!!
WellPet Hospitals between the 24th November and the 24th December will have available for sale WellPet heart shaped paw decorations to hang on our “Paws for a Cause” Christmas Trees! Each Paw is $2 and all proceeds will go to DCH Animal Adoption. You will be able to write your pets name on the front to show “Suppawt” for their fellow pets in need and your details on the back to automatically go into the draw to win a free bag of Hills Dry Pet food of your choice up to 7.5kg in size.
Keep an eye out on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/wellpetvet for competitions and giveaways we are running over the next month to help this worthy cause.